Catherine Robinson-Walker is highly-regarded as an expert, consultant, executive coach, author, speaker and passionate advocate for leadership development in healthcare.
As president of The Leadership Studio, Catherine brings more than 25 years of executive leadership experience to her work with complex health organizations, national commissions, and academic consortia. In this capacity, she has served physician and nurse leaders, chief executives, management teams, and other senior healthcare staff, as well as national, regional, and local organizations.
Catherine has worked in multiple capacities with leaders and teams from a variety of healthcare organizations such as those listed here and on the Clients & Testimonials page.
- The American Nurses Association
- SSM Health Care
- Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CHOC)
- The National Council of State Boards of Nursing
- John Muir Health
- The American Organization of Nurse Executives
- The National Cancer Institute
- Sutter Health
- The Association of California Nurse Leaders
- The Permanente Medical Group
Catherine’s recently published book, Leading Valiantly in Healthcare, provides a successful approach for healthcare leaders at all levels to grow into successful, resilient leaders. Her previous book, Women and Leadership in Health Care: The Journey to Authenticity and Power is a Jossey-Bass health series bestseller. She is also the author of numerous continuing education courses and articles, including “The Coaching Forum,” a featured column published in Nurse Leader, the official journal of the American Organization of Nurse Executives/American Hospital Association.
Working with nurse leaders has been a special focus for Catherine since 1982. Since then, she has co-created numerous leadership programs and resources for nurses, including:
- The Network Institute for Patient Care Executives (also known as The Western Network Institute for Nursing Executives, at the University of California Berkeley)
- The inaugural leadership program to launch the Florence Nightingale Museum of Nursing building campaign (London)
- The Center for Nursing Leadership Program, developed in collaboration with the American Organization of Nurse Executives
- The Executive Coaching Resource Center, an online coaching resource center for members of the American Organization of Nurse Executives
- The Executive Coaching Service, sponsored and funded by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing
For 18 years, Catherine was the founding Executive Director of the Network for Healthcare Management, a multinational 15-university consortium of graduate programs in health management, including:
- The University of California Berkeley
- The Kellogg School at Northwestern University
- The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania
In addition, she has held Executive Director roles with the Chicago-based Joint Commission and the California Health Collaborative.
Catherine was recognized as a Master Certified Coach (MCC) through the International Coaching Federation (ICF) in 2005. She has served as a member of the Leadership Team of the renowned Hudson Institute of Coaching since 2001. She is also one of a small number of executive coaches for the National Center for Healthcare Leadership.